Analyze account base to determine appropriate action required to collect customer invoice balances in a timely fashion relative to current payment terms and established policies. Manage daily activities to effectively balance workload and communications with the requirements of making sound credit decisions, external collection efforts and resolving issues that may prevent prompt payment.
• Analyze credit information to establish customer credit limits permitting the highest profitable sales levels consistent with reasonably minimal losses.
• Regularly review credit limits and credit exposure to risk by customer.
• Build and maintain relationships with specific accounts as assigned by Credit Manager.
• Release customer orders from credit hold based on established credit policies.
• Prepare basic analysis of delinquent customer accounts for reporting purposes.
• Resolve disputed accounts receivable items within limits established per Petra’s credit and collection policies.
• Plan credit restriction and collection tactics for risky, slow pay, or sensitive accounts.
• Advise management of non-resolutions, short pays and inability to pay issues.
• Receive and process mailed, faxed, and emailed communications relative to basic collection of accounts receivable balances, tax exemption certificates, returned goods items, etc.
• Request billing (invoice) corrections to resolve disputed open items.
• Interact with banks and freight forwarding agents as necessary.
• Send customer account statements as requested.
• Communicate with internal departments to improve understanding and resolution of customer billing issues.
• Pursue and complete goals and objectives as agreed upon through communication with department manager.
• Review all orders/releases on credit hold and release, based on management’s instruction.
• Make collection phone calls according to Petra’s credit and collection practices.
• Determine reason for delinquency if any, and work with customer to resolve issues.
• Record results of collection activities; document reasons for delinquency as necessary.
• Collect payments for Chargebacks, NSF and Stop Payment checks.
• Assist Credit Manager in other areas of credit and collections as needed.
• Punctual and regular attendance is a job requirement.
• Other duties assigned as needed.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance discipline preferred.
• High School diploma or GED required.
• Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in Credit or Accounts Receivable required.
SKILLS & CERTIFICATION
• Solid written and verbal communication skills are required.
• Must be proficient in standard Microsoft Office applications to include Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Ability to demonstrate an organized, logical approach to solving problems.
• Strong follow-up and follow-through with excellent attention to detail.
• Must be a self-starter, detail oriented and capable of working under time sensitive situations in a team environment.
• Flexible in hours, based on demands of workload.
Typical Physical Demands:
• Requires prolonged sitting, some bending and stooping, as well as movement of files and boxes at times. Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard and calculator. Requires normal range of hearing and vision.